Cheese is a very common foodstuff in the global cuisine and almost everybody likes it, since the range is so wide that it is very difficult not to find one that you like whatever your tastes may be. For this reason, cheese boards are the ideal companion for every family or friends meeting to have lunch.
Down below we give you some tips to be the best host preparing cheese boards.
- The first aspect to take into account is the kinds of cheese we want to serve; for that, we can choose cheeses according to the geographical location, to the kind of milk, to the curing period…you can establish your own criterion depending on your likes and those of your guests.
- The more cheese varieties you use, the more complete your cheese board will be; ideally, you may use about 7 different varieties (less than 4 wouldn’t be considered a cheese board). Try to add cooked paste cheeses, blue cheeses like Cabrales, soft mould cheeses, washed rind cheeses and hard cheeses such as Novelista Manchego cheese.
- The most suitable products to accompany a cheese board are water, acid apple and white bread since they help clean the taste buds and will allow us to perceive all the nuances of the different cheeses. Moreover, nuts, fruit jams or different kinds of bread are also a great accompaniment for cheese.
- To drink we will opt for a sherry or a white wine because they combine well with most cheese varieties. In case you have a less varied board, we should pay more attention to drinks. This way, for blue cheeses we will use a sweet wine; for the most cured ones, a red wine; for soft cheeses we will use a white wine and for mould rind ones, champagne.
- When preparing the cheeses, it is very important to cut the cheeses into thin pieces so that all their nuances can be well perceived. The way we distribute cheeses on the board is also an important aspect to consider: if it is a slate board, cheese will be placed from left to right starting with the softest one, if it is a rounded board, they will be served in clockwise by following the same criterion. The explanation is very easy; it is better to start tasting the softest cheeses so that the nuances of stronger ones do not prevent us from tasting all their characteristics.
If you want to be the perfect host, take a look at the online shop La Gourmeta before preparing your cheese board and you will see the wide range of cheeses, as well as other gourmet products, that you will find at your disposal.